Today I want to thank Dawn of Drawing Closer to Christ for nominating me to receive a Sunshine Blogger Award! I am sorry I’m so late to the game, Dawn. If you haven’t met or been inspired by Dawn yet, you have only to visit her blog and you will see what a truly faithful encourager she is. Her recent post on Finding Rest was particularly needful and uplifting.
Due to timing, I won’t be able to pass this tag on today, but I wanted to honor Dawn and answer her questions for my walk-along today.
- Road trips or flight; which do you prefer? Flying by myself. Road trips with kids 😂.
- How loyal are you? Very, but I’m loyal to my principles as well, so I like to be around people who make me better.
- Are friends or family the people who influence your life more? Family.
- You have been shipwrecked. It’s only you and one other survivor. What do you do to occupy your time as there are no books or electronics? Swim! Work to survive.
- What is your favorite animal? Share a picture. (See below!)
- Do you enjoy walks in nature? Yes!
- Do you enjoy camping? Yes! But I hate bugs. I just come uber-prepared and squeal a lot 😂.
- Would you prefer to live by the sea or in the mountains? Mountains.
- Considering the the times we live in, if your family member or friend told you they feel they are gay, what would your reaction be? How would you handle it? I like Beverley’s idea of seeking the help of a qualified counselor. At the end of the day, I believe marriage is eternally designed by God to take place between a man and a woman, but Jesus also taught we can love one another while not condoning each other’s sins and mistakes. I have many friends I practice this with when our beliefs differ. Galations 5:6 also comes to mind: “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.” Sometimes it isn’t about the thing that feels like such a big deal at the time. Even bigger than who is right and not right, “faith which worketh by love” in our hearts, along with using the word of God to share His love, has wrought more change than anything I know of.
- If you caught your family member watching pornography how would you handle the situation? What would you say to them? I would pray. I would also seek out therapy for myself and our family. I heard on a podcast once that pornography is designed such that when one spouse commits this offense, and the other withholds intimacy, it deepens the hold pornography can have in your home, decreases connection, and fuels a cycle that is very difficult to get out of. We couldn’t get through it alone. If it were my kids, I would take the route of education and communication, which I believe are paramount. I never really got “the talk”, and I plan on having multiple talks with my kids. Hopefully that will help them feel like they can come to me, and also give them understanding about what they are experiencing so that they can be equipped to “Turn, Run, and Tell”. Some of the books I have on our wish list are: Good Pictures Bad Pictures, Good Pictures Bad Pictures Jr., 30 Days of Sex Talks (which they have for different ages) and How to Talk to Your Kids About Pornography.
- What is your favorite color? Pink!
For anyone who wants, I would love to hear your answers to questions 9 & 10 in the comments.
Here’s to getting know one another better and supporting each other through some of those truly difficult things as well. And here’s to Dawn for these amazing questions!